How do I create and submit a language translation to Ukuu People?
Like most things in UkuuPeople, creating language files is really easy. You do not have to be a developer but you should speak the language you're creating a translation for. If you would like a language added to UkuuPeople core, we need you to create a .po (portable object) file. This may sound scary, but it's really not. Here's what you do:
- Download and install Poedit.
- Download the UkuuPeople .pot file (template)
- Open the .pot file in Poedit.
- The 1st box is the original message (in English) from the .pot file and The 2nd box is where you add your translation. [Screenshot]
- Go to File → Save as… to save your translations in a .po file
- For specific information on naming translation files, please refer to the Wordpress Translation teams documentation. The proper naming of a .po files is the plugin's text domain + language string. For example, if the text domain is UkuuPeople and the translation is French the file would be named: UkuuPeople-fr_FR.
- When you have finished translating, go to File → Save as again to generate the .mo file.
- Send us the .po and .mo files and we will add the translation to our next release! (Submissions must be received 1 week before scheduled release)
Tip: You can set your Poedit to always compile a .mo file when saving changes by clicking File → Preferences and on the Editor tab check the Automatically compile .mo file on save box.